Friday, January 20, 2006

The 20th Century

So here are the final greats from my source list, again with their wikipedia links. It's a longer list than the others, which poses its own questions.

Nikola Tesla
J.J.Thompson
Sigmund Freud
Heinrich Hertz
Max Planck
Leo Baekeland
Thomas Morgan
Marie Curie
Earnest Rutherford
Wilbur and Orville Wright
Guglielmo Marconi
Frederick Soddy
Albert Einstein
Alexander Fleming
Robert Goddard
Niels Bohr
Erwin Schroedinger
Henry Moseley
Edwin Hubble
James Chadwick
Frederick Banting
Louis de Broglie
Enrico Fermi
Werner Heisenberg
Linus Pauling
Robert Oppenheimer
Sir Frank Whittle
Edward Teller
William Shockley
Alan Turing
Jonas Salk
Rosalind Franklin
James Dewey Watson
Stephen Hawking
Tim Berners-Lee

That's it for now. I make it a total of 87, including almost exclusively white western european men. In fact I count just 2 women, and no-one from outside Europe and North America. Can that be right?

I've started trying to classify each as sinner, saint or victim, and when I've done that I'll summarise the figures here. The next step will be to choose (a number of) people to read about in more depth. Maybe 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home