Thursday, January 20, 2005

Sacrificing to succeed

I have this long debate going on with myself, and occasionally with some other people over a beer or two.

The question is: "If you pick any field of human endeavour, and then pick the most successful 10, 50, or 100 in that field, how many of those people will have sacrificed huge amounts of family life/interpersonal skills/love/happiness or whatever IN ORDER TO SUCCEED?"

The two competing theories are:

1. Just about everyone.
2. No more than in any cross-section of the human population.

Now, let's not even get into the methodology of defining success and so on; let's just assume we can agree on that at some point.

The point of the debate is for me to establish if you or I HAVE TO DO THIS to succeed too.

I have an idea as I write, (usually a worrying thing); it's another one of my 'books I would write and make millions if only I had the time' ideas. What about a collaborative thing? Based on a wiki say, let's get a few fields of endeavour, then add some successful people, and then rate them together on the extent, from 1-10, that they sacrificed their personal lives to succeed in their field.

By the way there is another question, which is how many of these people were downright nasty, and maybe we can do this or add others while we're at it.

Now where was that Hugh McLeod gapingvoid cartoon about it not being the nice guys that don't succeed but the wimp losers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home