Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Search for Meaning 2

I had another recurring thought yesterday about meaning. And it's sort of about relativity too.

If I have no focus or goal or passion, the world just washes over me. I don't discriminate. Because there is nothing in me that drives my selective attention. I am susceptible to manipulation, (conspiracy theory) or more likely just susceptible to being numbed by the kind of stimuli that wash around the world, crap TV, supermarket direct mail, and the conversations within earshot. It can be a random world, some place without meaning.

Get focused on something or passionate about something (or someone or somewhere etc.) and to start with I can begin to discriminate everything that washes past into yes or no; in-focus or out of focus. Then I can start actively seeking out amongst the random universe for the focus/passion stuff.

Then a special thing happens, the very fact of me maintaining this focus, feeding it, celebrating it and following it, the random world begins to throw out those magic moments, coincidences that make me feel like there's a God, or guardian angels and all that stuff. Now these are rare, but they are impressive when they happen.

I have a book story that illustrates this for me perfectly, but i don't think you'd like it.

So I'm going to start questing, and then all this will happen again, and then my 'book story', but a really good one, will hit me, and I'll tell it then.

Relative meaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home